Here is the Spanish language version for the article about the Santa María la Mayor church in Ronda. You can read the original English language version here.
La iglesia de Santa María la Mayor (también conocida como Santa María de la Encarnación la Mayor), fue construída en el s. XIV como una mezquita. Se encuentra en la plaza del Ayuntamiento de Ronda (plaza Duquesa de Parcent) y es la iglesia más grande y atractiva de la ciudad. Su característica torre y su fachada principal hacen esta iglesia más parecida a un ayuntamiento que a una iglesia pero no hay equivocación posible cuando se pasa a su interior. Continue reading La iglesia de Santa María la Mayor
Ronda is famous for it’s churches built after the reconquest as Catholic Spain asserted it’s control over the formerly Muslim city. Four of the many churches in Ronda are especially noted for their architecture or the story behind them, and all are part of every great tour of Ronda.
Christianity in Ronda began with Visigothic control of Iberia after the collapse of the Roman Empire in the 5th century, and quickly became the dominant faith. Arab invaders entered Iberia and overran the Visigoths beginning in 711 AD, and until 1485 Ronda was a Muslim stronghold alternating between liberal interpretations of Muslim faith and the more conservative Sharia versions. Continue reading Churches in Ronda
A formidable looking fortress, this is in fact the Holy Spirit Church, and is one of Ronda’s notable churches. It is unique in being part of the original fortified walls of the old city, in fact the church was built on the destroyed foundations of an octagonal tower used by the moors to defend the gate and walls in this part of Ronda. Continue reading Espiritu Santo
Dating from 1663, the Iglesia de los Trinitarios Descalzos as it was first known, was the third home of the Order of Descalzed Nuns of Ronda, who nowadays are located in the convent attached to the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Merced.
The plaza in front of the church, Plaza Los Descalzos, still retains the name of the order. An older Christian chapel, the “Ermita del Cristo de las Penas o Peñas” occupied this site from mid 16th century, being demolished to make way for the church you see today. In 1836 the Descalzed Order vacated the church and convent, and a school was established on the site using the church as their chapel. Continue reading Iglesia de Santa Cecilia