Probably every visitor to Ronda passes under this arch on their way from La Ciudad into Padre Jesus or the other way. Back in the 18th century until the completion of the Puente Nuevo, the arch was the main entrance into La Ciudad, and was hurriedly built after the collapse of the old Arab gate in 1742. Continue reading Felipe V Arch (Arco de Felipe V)
The Plaza de Toros in Antequera is still one of the often used bullrings in Andalucia, where the art of the taurina hasn’t lost its legal right as in communities such as Catalonia. Within the Malaga province, the plaza de toros in Antequera continues to host corridas several times per year.
The bullring itself is often ignored by visitors to Andalucia due to its lack of fame, however this is a mistake for anyone with a genuine interest in architecture or the art of bullfighting. In fact the Plaza de Toros in Antequera is a very attractive building, and is surrounded by beautiful parklands close to the centre of the city.
Architecturally, Antequera’s bullring is built using locally manufactured bricks, with a facade of white painted walls, and post-independence lintels above the doors. Inside, the rueda isn’t large, though the yellow sand is always immaculately smoothed out.
Dating from 1848, the structure was rebuilt in 1984, in a style that reflects the city’s diverse architectural influences, and is considered one of the most attractive bullrings in Spain. The Plaza de Toros in Antequera is a prime example of a classic bull ring. It has a seating capacity of 8,200 people.
There is an excellent museum of bullfighting within the structure under the seats, which dare we say it, is often considered better than the RMR museum in Ronda. Numerous momentoes from former heroes of the art are on display, including a bronze statue by Sánchez Panadero and Clemente entitled ‘El Tiro de Mulillas’ (Mules dragging out a bull).
Antequera Bullring Photos
Almost a destination in itself, the Hotel Jardin de la Muralla is in the Espiritu Santo part of Ronda and overlooks the medieval walls of the city, and is next the first church built after the reconquest, the church of Espiritu Santo. The impressive Almocabar gate, one of the original entrances to the city is attached to the hotel.
The eight spout fountain in front of the Church of our Father Jesus was built during the 1700s under the reign of Carlos III. Back in those days the Padre Jesus district of Ronda was its commercial centre. Many of the buildings around the church and fountain were home to bars and inns, and the fountain was considered an essential addition. Continue reading Eight Spout Fountain (Los Ocho Caños)
The Las Errizas is designed to reflect the traditional Andalusian style. Its whitewashed design meshes well with the rest of the buildings in Alcalá del Valle. The interior is designed to be comfortable as well as eye-pleasing with traditional Andalusian décor. The large terraces at the hotel give guests good vantage points to admire the beauty of the surrounding area.
Nestled in the old Jewish Quarter in Ronda, tourists can find the Alavera de los Baños. The hotel is designed with traditional flair making it easily blend in with its history-rich location. Guests at this hotel are treated to a magnificent view of the town and the mountain range nearby. Continue reading Hotel Alavera de los Baños, Ronda *
The walk to the Tajo del Abanico, named for the cave that looks like a fan (abanico), is a gentle walk measuring about 4.5km from the Almocabar gate at the entrance to the medieval walls of Ronda in the Barrio de San Francisco. It is of low difficulty, and takes you to a river valley filled with wildflowers in the spring and summer. (very hot in the summer months) Continue reading Walk from Ronda, Tajo del Abanico